Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Wang Factor


On how it all began for Alexander Wang:
"I think I was subconsciously influenced by fashion. I started reading about designers and looking at magazines. And then at a certain age I said that this is what I wanted to do. I moved to New York and went straight to Parsons. Before I started at Parsons I had an internship at Marc Jacobs the opportunity came a long and it was drop all. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had, coming from San Francisco and being dropped in Fashion Week. It was a four-year programme but I finished after two years. I decided to take leave of absence as I was learning a lot on my internships. I took the summer off and made a small knitwear collection."
On making mistakes:

"Luckily mistakes were early before they were too public. Everyone does [make mistakes] you learn from them, its the only way to move on."
On the creative process:

“Usually we look at everything we’ve done so far. It’s always about evolving what we’ve done – where does she need to go next? I believe in pieces that are timeless.”

On designer influences:

“Tom Ford at Gucci and Marc Jacobs – it’s more about their careers that has inspired me. It’s remarkable to see how each person has done it individually.”

On the difference between NY and Paris houses:

“New York’s reputation is driven on the commercial aspect and what sells. French houses are about building an identity and then they sell bags and shoes.”

On the Alexander Wang DNA:

“I don’t think there is a specific DNA. I think it’s more of a sensibility – which is found in New York but also in a lot of different places. This idea is definitely shared.”

On Erin Wasson:

“I really consider Erin a friend rather than a muse – I think that term is so outdated. Really it’s the people around me that inspire me – my friends and people I have close relationships with.”

On social networking:

“You have t be aware of how times are changing. We invited a couple of bloggers who we felt were appropriate to the show. Tavi, the way she reviews a show is fascinating.”

On getting into the industry:

“Have a clear idea of what you want to do. You need to be determined and ambitious to achieve the end result. It’s scary but if you know exactly what your point of view is, it makes it much easier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment